WCET Frontiers Blog Posts about State Authorization
WCET continues to write on this subject. Current blog posts from most recent.
Federal Student Complaint Requirements – Is Your Institution in Compliance Today? posted August 15, 2017 - Cheryl Dowd & Jenny Parks offer a reminder about the currently enforceable federal regulations requiring notification of state complaint information, recommendations for institutions to provide notification, and the impact of SARA on the complaint process.
We Need YOU! …to comment on Federal State Authorization Regulations posted July 13, 2017 - Russ Poulin & Cheryl Dowd invite all readers to respond to the Department of Education's request for comments on all education regulations. This blog also addresses the comment submitted by WCET and SAN regarding new Federal State Authorization Regulations.
State Authorization Resources! Updated and New! posted June 1, 2017 - Cheryl Dowd introduces new and revised white papers on state authorization topics. Check out the new WCET Talking Points!
The Federal State Authorization for Distance Education Regulation Still Stands posted April 12, 2017 - Russ Poulin announces that Congress is not likely to use the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to remove more recently released regulations. The federal regulation for state authorization of distance education released in December 2016 is likely to survive longer.
- Education Department Confirms 'Reciprocity' Definition Clarification - posted January 19, 2017 - Russ Poulin shares the response by the Under Secretary of Education, Ted Mitchell, to a letter by Marshall Hill, Exec. Director of NC-SARA and Russ Poulin, requesting clarification of the new federal regulations and the definition of reciprocity.
- Education Department Clarifies Its Intent on State Authorization Reciprocity - posted January 10, 2017 - Russ Poulin reports his interpretation of discussions with the Department of Education regarding the Department's intent for the definition of reciprocity in the recently released federal regulations.
- Department of Education State Authorization Regs - Reactions and What's Next? - posted December 21, 2016 - Reactions from Inside Higher Ed, NC-SARA, Cooley, LLP, and Massachusetts Executive Office of Education as well as next steps for institutions.
- A Lump of Coal for SARA and Other Goodies in the State Authorization Regulations - posted December 16, 2016 - Highlights of the released federal regulations on State Authorization of Postsecondary Distance Education, Foreign Locations.
- Will Higher Ed Regulations Weather the Perfect Storm Prepared to Sink Them? – Posted on November 21, 2016 – an analysis of the possible impact on federal regulations with a new Republican President and Republican Congress.
- Nine Organizations Partner on Official Comments for State Authorization Regulations – posted on August 25, 2016 – summary of comments by higher education organizations regarding proposed state authorization federal regulations for distance education.
- Department of Education State Authorization for Distance Ed Regulations-A First Look – posted on July 22, 2016 – review of recently released proposed new federal regulations for state authorization of distance education.
- State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement – Just the Facts (and a Few Opinions) – posted on May 25, 2016 – a look at facts regarding SARA to clarify recently published misinformation about the functions and management of SARA.
- In Response to Opposition of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements – posted March 29, 2016 – debunking myths related to SARA.
- Making a Business Case for Joining or Not Joining SARA – posted October 14, 2015 – a methodical approach for institutions to review the cost benefit analysis of joining SARA.
- Six Common Myths about State Authorization for Distance Education – posted on July 23, 2015 – a review of the common myths about state authorization and distance education.
- Update on the Five Types of State Authorization Regulations – posted on June 28, 2015 – distinguishes between the different types of regulations: State regulations regarding institutional authorization, state regulations regarding licensure programs, US Dept of Ed. Regulation Chapter 34, 600.9 (a) and (b), U.S. Dept of Ed Regulations Chapter 34, 600.9 (c), and US Dept of Defense MOU.
- What Can Happen If I Don’t Follow State Authorization Regulations? – posted on March 24, 2015 – analysis of consequences for violating state regulations and why the state higher education agencies prefer to bring the institutions into compliance.
- U.S. Department of Education ‘Pausing’ on State Authorization – posted on June 26, 2014 –an analysis of the US Dept of Ed announcement not to release new proposed federal regulations for the state authorization of distance education.
- State Authorization Negotiated Rulemaking: What Happened? What’s Next? – posted on May 29, 2014 – reporting of the negotiated rulemaking process from the viewpoint of a negotiator.
- What are Institutions Doing (or Not Doing) About State Authorization: 2014 Survey – posted on May 16, 2014 – survey results of the status of state authorization compliance by institutions.
- 10 Steps You Can Take to Begin the State Authorization Process – posted on May 17, 2012 – timeless steps that institutions should take to understand the out of state activities of the institution to determine a compliance plan.
Older Blogs that provide historical background of State Authorization:
- Distance Ed Institutions May Need More State Approvals – posted on October 28, 2010 – the initial analysis of the impact of the original 2010 federal regulations for state authorization of distance education written the day they were released
- What do We Know About State Approval of Distance Ed? - Posted on December 2, 2010, three surveys provide us with some insight on existing state regulations and the possible impact for both state regulators and institutions.
- State Approval Regulations: Update on Conversations and Activities: Posted on December 21, 2010, the post gives an update on several activities underway.
- State Approval: Eight Things You Can Be Doing Now – Posted on January 11, 2011, we give you some advice on next steps to take preparing to contact the states.
- State Approval Update: No Extensions for Distance Ed, but WCET Helps - Posted on January 12, 2011, we learn that distance education must meet the July 1 deadline. WCET helped to get assurance that institutions applying by that date will be in compliance."
- State Approval: A 'Starter' List - Posted on January 26, 2011, announces the release of a draft state-by-state list of state authorization agencies.
- State Approval: Creating model Reciprocal Agreements - Posted on February 10, 2011, a guest blog from Paul Shiffman about the Presidents' Forum of Excelsior College's work.
- State Approval: Running in Two Directions - Posted on March 3, 2011, announces the State Authorization Network, the ACE letter, and the APSCU lawsuit.
- State Approval: House Hearings, Call to Action, Impacts & Starter List - Posted on March 10, 2011, review of the testimony in front of the House of Representatives and a compilation of stories about the impact of this regulation.
- State Approval: 'Dear Colleague' Letter Analyzed & My Call for Delay - Posted on March 17, 2011, covers details of the 'Dear Colleague' letter.
- State Approval: Train Wrecks, Impacts, and Questions - Posted on March 24, 2011, where we observe that the lack of time to comply will result in a train wreck.
- State Approval: 16 US ED Observations/Responses...In Their Own Words - Posted on March 30, 2011, covers the comments of Eduardo Ochoa and David Bergeron on this regulation.
- State Approval: Rumors and Implications - Posted on April 8, 2011, covers the many rumors that a delay is imminent.
- State Approval: "Cease & Desist" and "Teach Out" - Posted on April 13, 2011, presents a story about a state asking an institution to comply with its regulations.
- State Approval: US ED Issues Second 'Dear Colleague' Letter - Posted on April 20, 2011, details the contents of a second clarification letter from the Department of Education.
- State Approval: 7 Steps (and Words of Advice) in Applying to States - Posted on April 25, 2011.
- State Authorization Timeline Clarification and New Resource - Posted on May 24, 2011.
- Now is Not the Time to Relax (or Even to Panic) - Posted on May 25, 2011.
- State Regulators Work to Clarify regulations for Distance Education Providers - Posted June 9, 2011.
- What Would Repealing the Federal 'State Authorization' Regulation Accomplish? - Posted June 20, 2011.
- WCET & UPCEA Partner on State Authorization Survey-We Need Your Help - Posted June 29, 2011.
- Court "Vacates" Distance Ed Portion of State Authorization Regulation - Posted July 12, 2011.
- Federal Student Complaint Regulation - Clarifying Misconceptions - Posted July 19, 2011.
- State Authorization Updates on Reciprocity & Surveys - Posted August 4, 2011.
- No 'Deus Ex Machina' on State Authorization - Posted September 22, 2011.
- Ignoring State Authorization? How Long Can You Tread Water - Posted November 21, 2011.
- House Votes to Repeal State Authorization (and Reciprocity Update) - Posted February 29, 2012.
- Putting A Student Face on Not Complying With State Authorization - Posted March 14, 2012.
- State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement Draft Released: Seeking Your Feedback - Posted April 27, 2012.
- 10 Steps You Can Take To Begin the State Authorization Process - Posted May 17, 2012.
- Court Deals Second Blow to State Authorization Regulation - Posted June 5, 2012.