WVU Online and Continuing Education is seeking applicants for an Accessibility Coordinator for Online Programs. This person will work collaboratively with the Office of Accessibility Services, administrators, faculty, and staff of the University to ensure best practices for designing and developing digital content that meets federal accessibility standards.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Assist with the development of instructional materials that are functional, intuitive and meet federal accessibility standards.
- Continually explore new technologies for potential application to instructional requirements and problems that meet both academic and accessibility standards, and evaluate technology under consideration for purchase.
- Work with vendors to implement accessibility features for software to meet the needs of students, administrators, faculty and staff at WVU.
- Troubleshoot and recommend assistive software and hardware.
- Perform regular accessibility audits of online course access and content.
- In collaboration with the Office of Accessibility Services, establish guidelines, best practices and standards related to designing, implementing and maintaining accessible online materials.
- Help develop, implement, and assess outreach and training for administrators, faculty, staff, and students who deliver instructional materials online.
- Train administrators, faculty, staff and students on using accessibility monitoring software and assist in identifying strategies and solutions for accessibility.
- Identify, implement and oversee tools for monitoring instructional material accessibility, and develop accessible templates and tools for online course development.
- Assist in the development, distribution and enforcement of accessibility policies and procedures.
- Evaluate accessibility of course multimedia, including static graphics, interactive media, audio/video elements, downloadable content and provide solutions for issues.
- Master's degree in relevant field
- Three years’ experience in the following:
- Web accessibility analysis, design, and development
- Web design and/or web-based instructional materials
- At least one (1) year of experience working effectively in highly collaborative, team-oriented environments
- At least six (6) months of experience in a higher education environment preferred