Do you share our passion for using analytics for good? Do you want to help a diverse group of learners of all ages, backgrounds, and goals maximize their success in their educational endeavors? Excelsior College is seeking an experienced data scientist to work with dedicated professionals in a positive, supportive, and mission-driven atmosphere!
As a member of the Analytics and Decision Support team, reporting to the Assistant Vice President, the Data Scientist designs and implements statistical models to inform college processes, enhance business processes, and solve business problems. He or she works as a member of an interdisciplinary team to provide data and information that supports decision-making, continuous institutional improvement, and regulatory compliance. The Data Scientist also consults on data collection and processes and engages in research associated with model development and implementation. This is a full time position based at 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY. Travel is rarely required.
- Masters degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or quantitative social science from a regionally accredited or a nationally recognized university required.
- Extensive experience working with large data sets, including data cleansing processes and analysis/imputation of missing data
- Proficiency in advanced statistical techniques (e.g. logistic/linear/multiple regression, decision trees (including random forest), data mining methods, forecasting)
- Experience with SQL and with statistical and analytic programming design and technologies (Python, R, SAS, JMP, etc.)
- Experience in the development of data visualizations and model output within a business intelligence software (such as Tableau, SAS Visual Analytics, or QlikView)
- Demonstrated success in analytical problem-solving, applying probabilistic and machine learning technologies to business systems, and project planning and implementation
- Creative and innovative mindset and the inclination to discover novel opportunities for applying analytical techniques
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate analytical results with business leaders and other stakeholders, highlighting actionable insights
- Five or more years professional experience, preferably in a higher education setting