Growth of online programs is part of UMKC’s strategic plan. UMKC Online is the department that is responsible for supporting the growth of online programs at UMKC. Instructional Designers assist the growth of online programs in a number of ways: provision of workshops on eLearning technologies, certification of online instructors and courses to UMKC standards, mentor new online instructors, development and update of 24 x 7 online eLearning resources for faculty and students at UMKC, provide faculty support in the development of online courses and programs. The instructional designer will be part of an instructional design team consisting of two other instructional designers. In addition, UMKC Online will be hiring an instructional technologist pending budget approval.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution in Education, Educational Technology, Instructional Design or a related field and experience required.
- Successful higher education experience in teaching or developing online courses.
- At least two years’ experience in Instructional Design in higher education or within a corporate training group.
- Demonstrated expertise in the theory and practice of online learning in higher education.
- Experience with a variety of technology-based online/eLearning educational tools such as VoiceThread, BlackBoard, Canvas, Captivate, WebEx, Camtasia, Panopto, multi-media or equivalent eLearning tools.
- Experience with learning analytics.
- Experience with the development of course and student assessments.
- Extensive experience in working with faculty on educational technology implementation.
- Excellent listening, written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Effective organizational skills with the proven ability to meet deadlines and to work independently.
- High personal integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop and implement complex strategic goals and program initiatives
Preference will be given to candidates who have successfully demonstrated 3-5 years of experience in Instructional Design with faculty at an institution of higher education or within a corporate training office. Successful higher education online teaching or course development experience is a preferred qualification.