- Research, design, implement and maintain computer hardware and software systems for Mizzou Online. Analyze new computer technologies and determine their suitability to problems faced by the office.
At this time Mizzou Online owns seven servers which are housed at the MU Data Center and host our web and database operations. All websites run on Microsoft IIS architecture, and databases on Microsoft SQL Server 2016. Installation, maintenance and security of these servers is the responsibility of the System Administrator.
- Design and maintain Mizzou Online web infrastructure, and ensure the security and 24 x 7 availability of these functions. Systems which are the responsibility of the System Administrator include:
A web-based data management system of detailed course and scheduling information.
A custom learning management system that was developed in-house for the support of students in self-paced courses.
- Design, maintain and secure several SQL and other databases used in various office solutions.
Back-end SQL databases support the web-based systems outlined above. Familiarity with all aspects SQL server usage and maintenance, as well as database design is required.
- Supervise the office’s IT support staff, and train them in all aspects of hardware and software maintenance.
Three full time IT positions report to this position: two Programmer Analysts and a User Support Specialist.
- Keep abreast of changes in computer hardware and software in order to make the best possible decisions concerning their use.
- Review available computer hardware and software, and make purchase recommendations to the Director. Supervise the installation of new hardware and software, and maintain as required.
- Serve as member of Administrative Team and engage in strategic planning for Mizzou Online.