Northwestern College seeks an instructional designer to support its rapidly growing online programs. The ideal candidate will possess strong knowledge of curricular design, computer-mediated instruction, adult learning theory, and Section 508 accessibility requirements. Exceptional interpersonal and project management skills are required. This is a site-based position on the campus of Northwestern.
Collaborate with content experts to:
- Develop online courses that maximize cognitive presence, teaching presence and social presence, and reduce the transactional distance between learners and the instructor
- Ensure online course content and assessments are aligned to program and course outcomes
- Fully leverage the learning management system, apps and other technology to use tools most appropriate for learning, communication, assessment and intended student outcomes
- Develop and embed media including video, podcasts, simulations, interactive objects and games to improve personalization and learning
- Ensure logical navigation of course content
- Ensure online courses are accessible to students with many learning needs, in compliance with Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) and Section 508 accessibility requirements
- Ensure time requirements of online courses comply with regulations pertaining to credit hours
Collaborate with program directors to:
- Prepare online courses with correct due dates prior to the start of every term
- Monitor online courses for function, including testing and repairing links
- Monitor and recommend changes to programmatic course templates to maximize students' experience in light of learning management updates and other considerations
Provide training and support to faculty developing online courses
- Graduate-level certificate or degree in instructional design, or significant equivalent experience
- Deep understanding of adult learning theory and backwards design
- Highly collaborative with excellent interpersonal skills, particularly in navigating the relationship with faculty content experts
- Able to break down multiple simultaneous projects into component parts, create deadlines and collaborate with others to ensure projects are completed on time and with high quality
The successful candidate will have an authentic Christian faith and support the college's mission and identity as expressed in our Vision for Learning, Vision for Diversity and Statement of Christian Identity.
Northwestern College is affiliated with the Reformed Church in America and seeks to more fully reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the body of Christ in its faculty, staff, administration and students. Women and candidates from historically underrepresented groups are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.