Western Oregon University offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Department / Job Summary:
The Academic Innovation unit at Western Oregon University invites applications from highly collaborative and passionate educators for the position of Instructional Designer. The Instructional Designer will play a critical role in enhancing learning experiences at Western Oregon University. This is an exciting and transformational time for Academic Innovation as it develops a new vision with expanded programs and services.
The Instructional Designer will collaborate with faculty and library colleagues to design and develop online, hybrid, and technology enhanced learning opportunities, providing individual consultations as well as facilitating faculty development initiatives. The Instructional Designer will work closely with other colleagues in Academic Innovation, including additional designers, academic technologists, graduate assistants, and the Director, to rejuvenate existing services and implement new programs that support WOU’s commitment to student achievement through transformative education and personalized support.
Academic Innovation embraces a culture of lifelong learning and continuous growth for its staff. Staff are encouraged to expand their areas of expertise by seeking professional development on new technologies and pedagogical strategies, as well as contributing to the scholarship of teaching and learning through publications and presentations. The search committee invites applications from both emerging, early career professionals, as well as more experienced instructional designers, to join a highly collaborative and supportive team environment committed to student success.
This is a regular, 12-month, full-time unclassified position in the Academic Innovation unit at Western Oregon University in Monmouth. Academic Innovation is an academic support unit reporting to the Dean of Library and Academic Innovation. The Instructional Designer will report to the Director of Academic Innovation.
We are not considering candidates who require Visa sponsorship support. Additionally, the university typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge and application of best practices for the effective use of a range of digital tools to support learning, communication and knowledge development, such as online collaborative tools, learning management systems, and multimedia development
- Highly developed communication skills (oral, written, and interpersonal) with the demonstrated ability to provide excellent service and work effectively with diverse constituencies
- Teaching, training, or facilitation experience in a formal setting, such as, but not limited to, an academic institution, corporate training environment, or non-profit environment.
- Collaborative mindset with an innate curiosity for learning, ability to embrace change and adapt to new technology
- Graduate-level degree or certificate in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education, or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience applying best practices in instructional design for online, hybrid, and/or technologically-enhanced education
- Experience using and/or supporting accessible technologies; experience with course development using Universal Design for learning principles
- Experience integrating open educational resources and/or open pedagogies into course design
- Experience with peer-review processes for evaluating online and hybrid courses, such as Quality Matters (QM) or SUNY OSCQR Rubric
**A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment