good practices and sound policies that accelerate the effective adoption and use of technologies in teaching and learning.
State Authorization Network (SAN)
Join the State Authorization Network
- State Authorization Compliance Workshop - March 2-3, 2015, Atlanta, GA
- State Authorization Network Rendezvous with Regulators - April 28-29, 2015, Savannah, GA
With the growth of distance education, institutions are enrolling students in an increasing number of states. Before enrolling those students, those states expect the institution to have followed their laws and to have received any necessary authorization to operate in their jurisdiction. The U.S. Department of Education's state authorization regulations were vacated by the courts, but seem to be en route to being reinstated.
The process of obtaining compliance in each state is difficult because:
- The rules and regulations regarding authorization vary greatly from state to state.
- Deciphering the approval/licensure regulations takes significant analysis. Many institutions do not have the staff available to perform all the necessary analyses.
- States change their regulations, interpretations, and procedures over time.
Working collaboratively, institutions can navigate the state regulations processes more efficiently than working on their own. WCET's State Authorization Network (SAN) assists the 'Coordinators' from each member system, consortium, or institution. Through access to experts and networking among others seeking to comply, WCET provides:
- Monthly Calls.
- Email Lists.
- Face-to-face Meetings.
- Discussions with Regulators.
- Research Reports.
- State Advocacy.
- Reciprocity Advice.
- Training Webcasts.
University of Rhode Island
$5,000 for a system, consortium, or individual institution to join. You must also be a WCET member.
Call for Participation for SAN Year 4
The SAN project year runs from April 1 to March 31. We are now soliciting public higher education systems, consortia of institutions (public or private), and individual institutions to join for the 2014-15 project year. See the "Statement of Work and Call for Participation" invitation for more details, answers to questions, and testimonials. View the current list of SAN participants.
Deadline and Contact Information
The deadline for joining is April 15, 2014. Past that date, talk to us about the possibility of a partial year membership. There is no application to join SAN. If you wish to join, have the appropriate official send us an email stating that you agree to the Statement of Work.