With the growth of available online courses and programs, institutions are enrolling students in an increasing number of states. Before an institution offers any out-of-state activities such as: online courses; field experiences; faculty teaching online courses out of state; and recruiting or marketing, an institution is legally mandated to follow the different state’s laws and must obtain any necessary authorization to operate in that jurisdiction prior to offering the activity.
Expecting each institution to navigate authorization regulations in every state is highly inefficient. Working cooperatively, institutions can share the burden.
The process of obtaining compliance in each state is difficult because:
- The rules and regulations regarding authorization vary greatly from state to state.
- Deciphering the approval/licensure regulations takes significant analysis. Many institutions do not have the staff available to perform all the necessary analyses.
- States change their regulations, interpretations, and procedures over time.
Working collaboratively, institutions can navigate the state regulations processes more efficiently than working on their own. Through access to experts and networking among others seeking to comply, the WCET State Authorization Network (SAN) provides:
Types of Events:
- Research Reports
- Email Lists - Discussion Opportunities
- Reciprocity Advice
- State Advocacy
- Discussions with Regulators
- Training Webcasts
- Face-to-face Meetings.
- Monthly Calls for the membership coordinators
Membership may be by: individual institution, partnership, consortium, or system
- Each membership allows for 2 designated coordinators who may participate on the monthly coordinator calls and attend the fall annual meeting
- Coordinators are responsible for sharing information with the other institutions/organizations within their membership
- At least one institution/organization within a membership must be a WCET member.
- Annual cost per membership: $5,000(this cost may be shared among a partnership, consortium, or system)
How to Join?
"WCET's State Authorization Network has provided invaluable help for my institution to understand and comply with these regulations."
University of Rhode Island
In the past, the SAN project year ran from April 1 to March 31. We are making adjustments and great plans for the 2016-2017project year which will be SAN Year 6. You may review the "Statement of Work and Call for Participation" invitation for SAN Year 5 to view more details, answers to questions, and testimonials.
View the current list of SAN participants.
FOR RENEWALS AND NEW MEMBERSHIPS *this is new!!!
- Review the Statement of Work and Call for Participation invitation for SAN Year 6 (coming soon!!)
- Complete Short Online Application Survey (coming soon!!)
- An Invoice for Payment will be sent upon receipt of the membership online application survey
- Deadline for renewal and new membership survey submission: TBD (will be identified soon!)
Beyond the Deadline?
Contact us about the possibility of a partial year membership!!