|Located||1997 Annapolis Exchange Pkwy
Annapolis, MD 21401
|Agency Contact||Julie Porosky Hamlin
MarylandOnline (MOL) is dedicated to championing distance education and enhancing the quality and availability of e-learning in Maryland and worldwide. As an innovative consortium of Maryland community colleges, colleges, and universities, MarylandOnline serves member institutions as well as distance learning students and professionals worldwide by providing leading-edge programs and services that:
- facilitate students' access to high-quality distance education courses, certificates, and degree programs;
- provide professional development opportunities and resources for faculty and others concerned with enhancing and assuring quality in distance education offerings;
- promote research and advance principles and best practice in e-learning.
Launched in the fall of 1999 with 12 charter member institutions, MarylandOnline is a consortium of 20 Maryland colleges and universities that offer certificate and degree programs in a principally online format.
Membership in MOL is open to all Maryland higher education institutions, public and private, that are licensed by the Maryland Higher Education Commission and accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The consortium is governed by a Board of Directors representing member institutions.
As member insitutions' online programs and support services became more fully developed, MarylandOnline's focus, as reflected in its activities and services, has gradually shifted from access to ensuring quality. The consortium's tagline is "Advancing Excellence in e-Learning." While continuing to serve member institutions in the state, MOL's constituency also has become international. MarylandOnline is the parent organization of the Quality Matters™ Program, a widely recognized set of standards and processes for certifying quality in online courses and programs that now has more than 800 subscribing institutions and organizations in the U.S. and abroad. MOL's Certificate for Online Adjunct Teaching (COAT) course also reaches national and international clients. Through its Advancing Excellence in eLearning grant program, MOL has fostered projects in student retention, online instructor mentoring, defining online instructor competencies, and student readiness for online learning.
MarylandOnline services include:
- Quality Matters (QM) Program offerings for higher education, K-12, educational publishers, and continuing and professional education.
- Certificate for Online Adjunct Teaching (COAT) trainings.
- Advancing Excellence in eLearning Grants Program.
- Professional Development Trainings series.
- Seat Bank online course sharing tool.
- State and federal legislation monitoring, testimony, and reporting.
Initiatives & Interests
MOL initiatives/interests include:
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Committee initiatives.
- Online Student Readiness Video grant project.
- MOL website.
- Certificate for Online Adjunct Teaching (COAT).
- Quality Matters (QM).
- Instructor Competency Project.
Strategic Plan: not available online.
Last Updated: July 2013