Visit the WCET/SAN Website
For the most up to date information about the WCET/State Authorization Network (SAN), visit the WCET/SAN website: https://wcetSAN.wiche.edu.
State Authorization Advanced Topics Workshop; October 1-2, 2019; St. Louis, MO. More Information and Register Here! Open to SAN member and nonmembers.
- State Authorization issue page
- State Authorization overview
- Statement of Work (2019-2020)(SAN 9)
- SANsational Awards
With the growth of available online courses and programs, institutions are enrolling students in an increasing number of states. Before an institution offers any out-of-state activities such as: online courses; field experiences; faculty teaching online courses out of state; and recruiting or marketing, an institution is legally mandated to follow the different state’s laws and must obtain any necessary authorization to operate in that jurisdiction prior to offering the activity.
Expecting each institution to navigate authorization regulations in every state is highly inefficient. Working cooperatively, institutions can share the burden.
The process of obtaining compliance in each state is difficult because:
- The rules and regulations regarding authorization vary greatly from state to state.
- Deciphering the approval/licensure regulations takes significant analysis. Many institutions do not have the staff available to perform all the necessary analyses.
- States change their regulations, interpretations, and procedures over time.
Working collaboratively, institutions can navigate the state regulations processes more efficiently than working on their own. Through access to experts and networking among others seeking to comply, the WCET State Authorization Network (SAN) provides:
- Research Reports
- Email Lists - Discussion Opportunities
- Reciprocity Advice
- State Advocacy
- Discussions with Regulators
- Training Webcasts
- Face-to-face Meetings.
- Monthly Calls for the membership coordinators
Membership may be by: individual institution, partnership, consortium, or system
- Each membership allows for 1-3 designated coordinators(depending on the size of the membership) who may participate on the monthly coordinator calls and attend the fall annual meeting
- Coordinators are responsible for sharing information with the other institutions/organizations within their membership
- At least one institution/organization within a membership must be a WCET member.
- Annual cost per membership is dependent on the size of the membership (this cost may be shared among a partnership, consortium, or system, but with only 1 point of contact for the invoice.)
Higher Ed. Offices, State Portal Entities, Companies & Organizations* (office only)
How to Join?
The SAN 8 project year will run July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019.
View the current list of SAN participants.
FOR NEW MEMBERSHIPS
- Review the Statement of Work and Call for Participation.
- New Members complete the Online Member Registration Form. The form requests contact information (postal and email) for all institutions within the membership as well as FTE category and whether the institution is a member of WCET.
- An Invoice for Payment will be sent upon receipt of the Online Member Registration Form.
- SAN Year 8: July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019. Registration Forms will continue to be accepted beyond July 1, 2018.
- Review the Statement of Work and Call for Participation .
- Coordinators must confer with membership contacts to determine if there are any changes.
- If there a no changes, your membership will automatically renew and an invoice will be created after June 1, 2018.
- If there are changes, one coordinator must submit changes to Cheryl Dowd: email@example.com.
- An Invoice for Payment will be after June 1, 2018.
- SAN Year : July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019.
Beyond the Deadline?