about good practices and sound policies that accelerate the effective adoption and use of technologies in teaching and learning.
Issue: State Authorization of Out-of-State Activities
Recent News on
State Authorization Network Rendezvous with Regulators - April 28-29, 2015, Savannah, Georgia
State Authorization Compliance Workshop: For Those Getting Started - July 23-24, 2015, Denver, Colorado
Two webcast series on State Authorization - August 2014
State Authorization of Out-of-State Institutions
Whether via distance education, practical experiences, or face-to-face, states expect that institutions obtain approval before enrolling students, advertising, marketing, or performing other regulated activities in their state. The requirements as to which activities require authorization, the application processes, and the costs to comply vary greatly from state-to-state.
In 2010, the U.S. Department of Education issued a regulation tying an institution's ability to offer federal financial aid in a state to the institution being authorized in the student's state. The regulation was subsequently "vacated" by federal court ruling and is not currently being enforced. The Department is currently in the process of reinstating the regulation. Regardless of the status of the federal regulation, states still expect institutions to follow their laws and regulations.
- History of State Authorization
- State Approval Requirements
- Getting Started with State Approval
- Student Complaints
- Reciprocal Agreements
WCET's State Authorization Network
WCET's State Authorization Network (SAN) assists institutions, systems or consortia in navigating the state regulations processes.
- Colleges Moving Slowly Toward State Authorization Compliance or Opting Out of States (March 20, 2013)
- What are Institutions Doing (or Not Doing) about State Authorization (May 2014)
- State and Federal Regulations on 'State Authorization' of Distance Education (July 2015)
- Institutional Disclosures Regarding State Authorization and Professional Licensure - Track Programs (April 2015)
- State Authorization and Professional Licensure (February 2015)
- State Authorization and MOOCs (April 2014)
- State Authorization and Non-Credit Courses and Programs (April 2014)
- State Authorization and Military Students (November 2013)
- U.S. Department of Education 'Pausing' on State Authorization (June 2014)
- State Authorization negotiated Rulemaking: What Happened? What's Next? (May 2014)
- State Authorization - changes Proposed to Regulatory Language at April Meeting (April 2014)
- State Authorization - Proposed Regulatory Language from Department of Education (April 2014)
- Proposed State Authorization Regulations (Second Set): Provide Your Feedback (April 2014)
- Proposed Federal State Authorization Language: Provide Your Input (March 2014)
- Colleges Crossing Borders - Counts and State Authorization: IPEDS Reality Check (March 2014)
- Untangling Two State Authorization Rules: "On Ground" and "Distance Education" (February 2014)