State Authorization

For more detailed information about state authorization, please review the WCET | State Authorization Network (SAN) website.

States expect institutions to obtain approval for regulated activities that occur in their State. These activities may include; online learning, experiential learning, faculty teaching from another state, marketing, advertising, and more.

If State approval of the institution is required, the institution may seek direct approval from the State or institutional approval though participation in a reciprocity agreement through a State that is a member of NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements).

Institutions must also be aware of additional State Agencies in other States that may wish to have oversight of the institution’s activities and programs such as State professional boards (e.g. nursing, teaching, etc.) as well as the State Secretary of State Office and State Department of Labor. Requirements will vary State to State.

In addition to State compliance, institutions must comply with Federal regulations to participate in Title IV, HEA Programs.  

For more information, please check out the WCET State Authorization Network (SAN) website, the Frontiers Blog, and The Guide (public resource for state regulatory information). More information can be found on the SAN website for these topic areas:


Map of the United States with pinpoints on various locations.